Tips for First time Strawberry pickers
If you are planning to pick strawberries when our fields open in later June, these tips may help you:
- Bring your own containers – bowls, baskets, small pails….. anything you want to place your fruit in. (If you forget, we have some available in the field.)
- Dress for the weather.
- Be courteous to field staff. They are there to direct you, eliminate confusion, explain picking procedures, assign picking spots and weigh containers and picked berries.
- Be courteous to other PYO customers. All are in the fields to enjoy time together and to pick berries.
- To pick berries, you need to get down, and push back the green leaves and foliage to see the berries underneath. Only pick the ripe, red and shiny berries, of all sizes. Leave unripe berries to ripen.
- Pick only in your assigned row, and move the flag when you have finished picking. The flag system enables us to give every customer an opportunity to pick in a spot that has not yet been picked in.
- Berries are sold by weight, so pick only as much as you want. Return as often as you’d like. We are open daily (unless picked out) until approximately July 10.